Wednesday, March 28, 2012

How to make reborn baby food.

(Picture of Heinz Organic carrots baby food from:Heinz)

Hi everyone,

I was looking around on the internet for some tutorials on how to make fake baby food for reborns, and I came up with some great tuts on youtube, but not really on google, so I thought I would make my own tut on it with how I make it, if you make this you can change it around a bit for your own liking, don't think that you have to do it exacly how I do :)

well first things first, you will need:

A container or bowl to mix everything up in.
A spoon to mix everything up with.
Lotion of some kind, whether it be sun-screen, hand cream, body lotion or even hair conditioner would work.
Food colouring of your choice.
and/or
Vanilla essence.
A empty and clean baby food jar-With the label still on (Optional.)
Chalk dust (this is also optional, if you can be bothered sitting there with a chalk stick and some sand paper to get chalk dust, it will give your fake baby food some texture.)

Ok so this is what I did:

Food One; Creamy banana porridge:
I grabbed a plastic container and put in it about 2 tablespoons of sun-screen, a drop of egg-yellow food colouring and some chalk dust for some texture as I planned to put the food in to an old, clean baby food jar and the original (real) baby food was a banana porridge and it had quite a bit of texture and I wanted the fake food to look as real as possible. I mixed it all up with a spoon but it looked too yellow and not dark enough...so I added some vanilla essence to it to make it darker and mixed it up again, that worked! I then poured the baby food from the plastic container into an old, clean baby food jar. So now I have jar of creamy banana porridge for my reborns!

Food Two; Carrot puree:

I put some sun-screen (Yes, yes, I know I used this in the last food, but I had an old bottle of it and I needed to get rid of it...) into a plastic container and added about 2 drops of yellow food colouring and 1 drop or red food colouring to get orange, this was a bit of trial and error, and I am still not completly happy with the outcome, so just play around with it a bit until you get a bright orange. I then mixed it all together and covered the container with some cling film and stuck some sticky tape to the edge to make sure it wouldn't come off and spill everywhere, I did this as I didn't have another old baby food jar and I couldn't find the lid to the container. ;D

Food Three; Banana and avocado puree:

This is the same as the carrot puree, but instead of making it orange I added only one drop of green food colouring to it to make it a light green. Again this one is stored in a plastic container with cling film as a make-shift lit. (Hey, I was having trouble finding the lids, it's not my fault my room is un-organised....well, actually, maybe it is...hehe.)

I also played around with other ideas too, like a glue, lotion and water mix, but that didn't work out so great. and another one was white hair conditioner instead of sun-screen with red food colouring to make an apple and strawberry baby food, it worked great actually and I didn't really think it would.

Warning! Do not get the food with the food colouring in it on your reborn baby if you plan to pretend feed your reborn, as it may stain your precious little baby and we do NOT want that!

Have a great day!

-R



2 comments: